Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sad Anniversary today...

March 31, 1995 was a sad day indeed.

That was the day we lost an upcoming star, who was already a star outside of the US, but just starting to make her music more known by entering the English music industry.  Although she was born in Lake Jackson, Texas, and truly spoke no Spanish until she started singing, she did not start her musical career well known in the US.

Selena Quintanilla Perez was born April 16, 1971 and was murdered March 31, 1995

I first heard her 2 "crossover" songs I could fall in love  and  Dreaming of you on the radio in the fall of 1995. I fell in love with her voice, and promptly went out and got her cd, not even knowing about what had happened to her just a few months before. I didn't hear about her death until the one year anniversary was being celebrated! I was so devastated cause I absolutely adored her music!!!

To be honest with you, I was just barely starting my senior year of high school when I started listening to her. I had already been taking Spanish classes in high school, but I truly started learning when I started both listening to her songs and trying to sing them, as well as start working in a restaurant with predominately Spanish speaking workers.  The first song I actually learned to sing in Spanish was Selena's Bidi Bidi Bom Bom. :o)



I AM SO SAD right now....

I just still cannot believe that 17 years ago she was murdered heartlessly... She was such a beautiful person, inside AND out, had a voice that everyone loved!!! She never had a chance to show the world her full potential. She was only 23 years old. She had a music career that was just starting to bloom, a fashion line just starting to gain popularity, a husband and the goal to have a family... :'(

This picture was taken at the Houston Astrodome in February of 1995- her last live concert.

RIP SELENA QUINTANILLA PEREZ
4/16/71 - 3/31/95
♥♥♥Con Tu Adios Te Llevas Mi Corazon♥♥♥
SIEMPRE VIVERAS

1 comment: